Monday, May 5, 2008

GRADUATIONS, BAPTISMS & RING CEREMONIES

JUST WAIT!?!?!? I will get this particular blog just about finished and then I will learn how to bring up that stuff I accidentally deleted last Saturday. I sure have been trying, but to no avail. I just hope I can remember all the stuff I had in my mind on Saturday.
On Thursday night Sandy called and said she and Charlie had been talking and decided on a way we (Kent & I) could go to JorJa's graduation on Friday at 1:45 p.m from the University of Utah at the Huntsman Center. JorJa was receiving her B.A. in Civil Engineering(taking after her grandfather Kent) Remember Charlie had surgery on his knee just about 10 days ago and he had been walking on crutches, so he was in as bad a shape as I was. She said we just need for me to be in my wheel chair and then we could drive right down to the Huntsman Center to drop off the wheel chair person and then go on out to the parking lot. Then we could just go in and sit in the wheel chair section and not have to walk at all or climb any steps. Well, I was a little bit nervous about this happening and told her about my feelings but she just insisted, so we went and I want to "Thank Them" for figuring all this out and insisting we go because it worked like a charm. Had I known then what I know now there would have been not a minutes hesitation. the only thing I would be leary of is the time involved, my little black tank only holds about 2 1/2 or 3 hours of oxygen and you can't attach any thing to hold a larger tank on the chair. I guess if someone could go along and push my regular tank next to me, it would work out alright.
The graduation exercises went off just like clock work, the engineers graduated at a different time than the rest of the school. The regular graduates started at 9:00 in the morning and lasted until 1:00 and the engineers started at 1:45 and lasted until about 4:00. Next year we will have KayCee graduating in the 9:00 session and Jorja (JorJa is planning on going for her masters) and Jacob graduating in the afternoon session. I think I will have to take a lunch pail with me. I'll bet Sandy takes a couple of diet cokes with her next year. The graduates were told that there are NOT nearly enough people graduating in engineering as are needed all over the world so I am sure they will be given scholarships like crazy to get them all into the engineering school. The speaker said that the engineers have an obligation to the public and should hold this as a sacred duty to themselves as well as to the the public.
Chalice drove the truck up to and back from the Huntsman Center, and the only back seat driving I did was to tell her that if she was going to have an accident of any kind, to give me plenty of notice where I could take my oxygen hose of my ears. I just didn't think my head would squeeze through that little crack, where the window was open to let my hose in from the back of the truck where my tank was, when the tank went flying out of the back of the truck. Her answer was "we are not going to have an acccident," Anyway we were traveling during the 5:00 traffic and we were supposed to be at the Westwood Therapy at 4;15 for Charlie to have his therapy, we were only 1 hour late. We traveled up there in about 35 minutes, and it took 90 minutes to get home. I'm glad I don't have to travel that route every morning and night. He had to leave there by 6:00 in order to be up to Kody's baptism at 6:30.
Talk about people running a race to get to everything. Charlie had to witness the baptism and give the confirmation prayer and Kent had to give the closing prayer. After the baptism, Brooke and Matt had arranged for a real nice luncheon to be served to all those that were attending the baptism. They had turkey and beef sandwiches, chips of all kinds, vegetables of all kinds, fruits, and she and Shirley had each made a couple of salads, plus cake and cookies. Jorja and Jacob, his mother and brother, and KayCee were trying to get to the Jazz game before 8:30 so they were not going to have time to eat, so Sandy went into the kitchen and made each of them a plate of food to eat along the way to the Energy Solutions Arena. I'm sure they appreciated that little gesture.
Jacob was telling Kent about the Ring Ceremony JorJa had attended on the Saturday before the graduation and Kent was telling him about David Rowley (whom he home teaches and he lives in our condo area) and the ring ceremony he had attended to receive his ring. Well, anyway Jacob had a picture of it on his camera and low and behold Dave is standing right behind JorJa in the picture. Talk about a small small world. The next day Jacob sent the picture over email to Kent and he sent it on to Dave. It is called "The Engineer's Ring Ceremony" and the purpose is to stimulate formal public recognition by engineers in the United States of two basic principles. These principles are that (1) the primary purpose of engineering is service to the public, and (2) all members of the engineering profession share a common bond. The Ring Ceremony is the public induction of candidates into the order of the Engineer, during which the engineer candidates formally accept the Obligation of an Engineer and receive a stainless steel ring to be worn as a symbol on the fifth finger on the working hand. There are no meetings of the Order of the Engineer. Inductees are encouraged to wear the ring and to display the signed Obligation certificate as visible reminders of the publicly accepted Obligation as a contract with themselves.

No comments: